Since I failed at taking pictures of the hay set up at the barn yesterday (and I don’t think it will be the final set up because mares…) I have yet another blog hop.
1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
I think this depends more on the individual horse than their plumbing. I’ve met great mares and geldings alike. I would buy either again if they were the right fit otherwise.
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
Fully broke please. I’m over the whole having an aged horse who thinks he’s green broke phase.
3. Would you own a “hotter” breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
Negative. That would not be super for my confidence.
4. What was your “dream horse” growing up?
Eh. Not sure I truly had one? I’ve always liked a big, chunky frame overo though for some reason.
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
Paige and Copper both go in the same bridle generally. If they’re both being ridden, one will go in the O ring snaffle and the other in a D ring.
6. Helmets or no helmets?
7. Favorite horse color?
I have a long running weakness for chestnuts.
8. Least favorite horse color?
Bay. A horse has to be particularly fancy to be bay and catch my eye.
9. Dressage or Jumping?
I’ve not shown either, but dressage is easily the more likely of the two.
10. How many years have you been riding?
Over 15 years.
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
Yes to spurs on most occasions. Not when I ride Paige bareback though because sometimes I get a little lopsided when we’re loping hills and poking her with a spur seems unfair at best. I don’t remember when I last rode with a whip.
12. Your first fall?
Off of a Quarab into an electric fence because my girth wasn’t tight enough. My fault since I tacked her up. Fail. I was like 12 though. Learning experience…
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
Ha. Oh. Hmm, it’s been a while. Pretty sure my last ride was Paige out in the field just riding around. Then it starting raining/getting cold and my motivation ran away.
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
My Billy Cook.
15. How old were you when you started riding?
16. Leather or Nylon halters?
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
18. What “grip” of reins do you like?
I have some woven flat rope reins that I like a lot.
19. English or Western?
Western mostly. Occasionally English, but not often since my HDR is too small for me now.
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
Three horses, three mini donks.
21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
I’d never have this many equines if I boarded. I own my own land.
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
No, thankfully. That will be on the horizon since all six of mine are long term ponies/donks.
23. How many saddle pads do you have?
4? Two western, two english.
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
Current trailer is a straight load, but I’d like to end up with a 3 horse slant soonish.
25. Why do you ride?
I think about this a fair amount. Because I’ve been doing it for so long partially. Because it is good exercise when I actually ride. Because I enjoy the relationships that I have with the horses that I own currently.