Well, not the one you’re likely thinking of. Love is much more fun than Lyme disease, but guess which one we’re talking about today?
Yep. Lyme disease. So with Copper’s assortment of lamenesses last year, someone made a suggestion: that I test him for Lyme. If you recall, I pumped a fair amount of money into Copper’s body last year: stitches in his knee (unrelated to this obviously), new fancy shoes because of a front end lameness, chiro, hock injections, more chiro, and then he came up lame AGAIN in his hind end and I promptly gave up and stopped riding him and basically said, go be horse. I ran out of money and patience around the end of riding season, so I figured a few months out on pasture without work wouldn’t hurt him any.
I planned on having him tested for Lyme disease as soon as Paige foaled so that I could utilize the $75 trip fee for the vet for more than one thing. I didn’t think he was in pain really if I wasn’t riding him so I wasn’t in a huge hurry. Well, the results are back and on the test they ran he scored 5120. High on this test is 1200. So he likely has been in some sort of pain throughout winter-sorry Copper. So now I’m poking my vet (well, my substitute vet) for a solution. I really miss having my regular vet in action. Substitute vet seems wonderful and all, but the practice as a whole is flooded with work without regular vet working and there’s a significant lag in communication right now. So I had to call the office to find out IF Copper’s test results were back, which is when she told me about his results and that the vet would call me back with a game plan. Well, two days passed and I didn’t hear anything, so I called again and spoke to the vet, who is going to call the vet school and call me back.
By now, I’ve googled Lyme disease in horses to the point that I pretty much feel confident about how to treat it. I’m also taking a large animal vet assisting class so I’ve picked the brain of the vet tech who is teaching it to the point that she probably regrets accepting my friend request on fb.
So basically I’ve determined from my sources that Copper needs to be receiving 10mg of doxycycline every 12 hours, so now I’m waiting on substitute vet for the Rx. It’s safe to say I’ll be calling again today to try to shake the bushes some and get this moving. Vet tech instructor friend says I’ll see a pretty quick change in how he feels once he’s getting the doxy, but that I should be diligent in watching for diarrhea, and give him probiotics if his poops get loose.
So basically, this is life:
Reading back over my posts from last year that I linked to above, this makes sense with what I’ve researched on Lyme disease. Sound one day and gimpy the next. He wasn’t very sensitive to touch, nor did he have behavioral changes really, but otherwise he sounds pretty textbook. Hopefully treating this will resolve our lingering issues and we can pick things back up soon and soundly.